The twins are now at the nanny, I needed a bag to carry their stuff from one house to another each day.
I already had a bag to change but too small. I thought of a simple form, a little retro, so here is my version of the diaper bag.
Obviously, this bag can have multiple uses and is not limited to the diaper bag.
It is the bag of the first ones:
– use of skai
– pose of bias
– iron (we really gain time to mark the folds)
– sewing machine – scissors
– chalk or special pencil
– fabric for the outside of the bag (whatever you want) – fabric for the bottom and side (here I took a different fabric of the faces, you can take the same)
– lining for the inside of the bag
– fabric drop to “climb” the zipper
– zipper 30-40 cms
I advise you to use fabrics with the outfit. If this is not the case, heat the inside or outside fabrics. This bag must be held so that one admires its pretty shape.
1- Cutting of the tissues
Here are the dimensions of the different pieces (seams included).
2 – Dimensions
The dimensions of the bag are very easily adaptable. The cuts above correspond to a large bag allowing to put:
– what for a we
– everything needed for 2 babies
3 – Preparation of the handles
– Here I wanted a bi-colored handle. If you do not wish, do as usual (I refer you to all my other bag tutorials and use a piece of cloth of 110 cms * 24 cms).
– Prepare the iron and 2 pieces of fabric
– Fold the piece in half lengthwise and mark the fold. Fold each piece towards the center and mark the fold.
– we do the same thing for the second piece
– Position the 2 handles in reverse and sew all along.
here I chose to do 4 parallel seams to stiffen the whole thing
4 – Preparation of the zipper
– 2 pieces of fabric are cut to the width of the zipper.
We make small flaps on each side and then fold the piece in 2 (we mark the folds with the iron).
The size of these pieces is calculated in this way:
zip length + fabric length = 47 cms. We add 2-3 cms more to have a small margin.
– We position these pieces so that the closure is sandwiched and pinned so that it does not move
– we sew on each side along the closure
I used a special zipper foot (it allows to sew closer to the closure)
5 – Positioning the zipper
– Overlay the tissues and pin
Front – Zip closure as in the picture – Back of the lining
Always sew spot against place. The front of the lining is facing the front of the fabric.